31 May 2013

Day 2 Of The 30-Day Challenge

I thought I would share my response to day two of my challenge...


30-Day Challenge:


Day 2: Where you want to be in 10 years:

Just like driving and looking through the rearview mirror; the next chapters in our life are partially dictated by our past. As we drive onward, time passes and we get older, but before we switch lanes, and change the course of our path, we must check the mirror and look over our shoulder; we must look to the past. “Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.” Ten years ago, I was 12 years old, amidst the woes of 6th grade. I had braces, tight fitted clothes and “best friends” that I never talk to today. Looking in the rearview mirror, my time as a twelve-year-old girl appears further away than it truly is. That girl had not yet experienced high school or college, the writhing pains of a broken heart, or importance of family. These life experiences are what make our past appear further away than it really is. The 12-year-old girl innocently walked around with concerns that seem foreign to the 22-year-old girl driving today.
Looking at the road ahead we need a safety warning, “Objects ahead are further away than they appear.” When we think about our future, we often think of it as a mirage looming right around the corner. The 32-year-old girl that looms large in my future appears closer to my 22-year-old reality than the 12-year-old girl of the past. Gaining this type of perspective allows for a more hopeful picture of the future. When I compare the 12-year-old girl to the 22-year old girl, I can only think of all the things I wish I could have told her. Although I am struggling with the girl I am today, the past ten years of experience have drastically differentiated me from the girl I was. I can’t imagine what another 10 years will teach me. Instead of speeding down the road with the idea that the future appears closer than it does in reality, we must remind ourselves to look back to the past and notice that objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.
That being said, in 10 years, I hope I will have a career that I love, friends that I cherish and regularly see, and a husband or boyfriend that loves me for my faults. More important than anything, I hope that I will have learned true self-love and the gift of living a true and fulfilling life. It’s nice to know that I have time and so many life experiences ahead of me before I truly am 32. I can’t imagine all the changes and things I will learn before that day arrives.      

No comments:

Post a Comment