27 August 2013

Tamayo Makes My List - Denver Restaurant Review

Tamayo is a long-time Modern Mexican favorite in the heart of Larimer square in down town Denver. Chef, Richard Sandoval, creates a one-of a kind cuisine, mixing traditional flavors with contemporary. Along with Tamayo's innovative fare, this Denver "hotspot" is home to a collection of over 100 tequilas and agave spirits, perfect for a post-work pitstop - (happy hour from 2:00pm-7:00pm daily.) 

From now through September, Tamayo will feature its first annual Guacamole Festival. Sandoval has introduced a number of exclusive guacamole creations with one of a kind ingredients like kiwis, grasshoppers, and grilled beets. So when I was asked to cover the Guacamole Festival this past week, I jumped at the opportunity. I decided to take my dad on this culinary adventure, as a makeshift father-daughter date. 

We started out with the Traditional Margarita on the rooftop lounge, which overlooks Invesco Field.



and of course, Larimer Square.



The chef prepared us an amazing appetizer with fresh fruit, fried cheese, and a balsamic reduction. 


There were six guacamole creations to choose from, all inspired by different regions of Mexico. Naturally, we wanted to try them all, so we ordered the Guacamole Tostada Sampler. Usually the sampler comes with a taste of the Baja, Sur, and Pacifico. Last night, however, the Sur (the one with the grasshoppers) had sold out - I must admit, I was a little relieved. Instead, we ordered the Bacon, as my poor dad has been eating vegetarian on most nights because of me.  

The Pacifico was my favorite - beets, roasted walnuts, queso fresco, and orange, topped off with habanero salsa.


Needless to say, we hated it...


For our next course, the chef made us an amazing sorbet with mint and diced fruit at the bottom. 


Last but not least, we split the Wild Mushroom Flat Bread with goat cheese, caramelized onion, black bean pure, and truffle oil. 


I am so happy to have been asked down to Tamayo, as it has easily found a cozy spot on my "Favorite Eats in Denver" list. 
Tamayo on Urbanspoon



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment